Zaglavlje
Mapa sajta  Mapa sajta   RSS  RSS    Facebook 
Leva ivica
Pretraga
Desna ivica
Leva ivica

SISTEM 48

Budžet grada Zrenjanina

Registar formalnih zahteva

GIS centar u Zrenjaninu

Free and Industrials Zones

Pitajte gradonacelnika

Portal E-uprava Srbija

Jedinstveni birački spisak

Registar investitora

Citaj
Building heritage


Zrenjanin is ranked among the cities that have had favorable natural conditions for its architectural development, and the winding course of the River Begej, with numerous meanders, has provided the basis for formation of the city streets and that basic regulation has been preserved up to the present day. 
 
The historical framework of formation of Vojvodina cities/towns and, thereby of Zrenjanin as well, completely pertains to the period of the 18th century. After the formation of the town nucleus, construction on other territories along the banks of the River Begej started and, upon the organized colonization of the Germans, which lasted up to 1785, the first planned, urbanized, and regulated part of the town emanated – "New German town". Becskerek had the most complex urban development basis, atypical and very much dissected, but also a more balanced development than most of the towns in the vicinity. 
 
     
 
Definite formation of the urban structure and adoption of the regulation matrix, preserved up the present day, followed after the big fire, in 1807. Rebuilding of the town actually caused its biggest rise – economic, cultural, and architectural. The number of inhabitants almost doubled in the course of the 19th century and, in the town nucleus, the first monumental buildings were constructed, which are even today specific city symbols and representative examples of the building heritage – the Town Hall (constructed in 1820, reconstructed and extended in 1888), the Theater (in 1839), Roman Catholic Cathedral (in 1868), Merchant Academy (in 1891), Reformist Church (in 1891), Financial Palace, the present-day National Museum (in 1894), and many others. 
 
       
 
In the periods of world wars, the town was spared from devastation and, out of the former building symbols, only the synagogue disappeared, which was demolished in 1941. Unfortunately, after the Second World War, the radical attitude of the new authorities towards the building heritage and the new urban development doctrine resulted in impoverishment of the old urban matrix and disappearance of a number of valuable buildings. They were replaced by modern spatial landmarks, which have not passed the test of time. 
 
However, despite everything, today, Zrenjanin has a lot to offer and show. Reconstructed and restored facades, decorative lighting, new urban development trends that follow and nurture the inherited, and comeback of certain disappeared symbols, are the evidence of the endeavor of the city to attribute the importance to the building heritage, which it deserves.  
 
 
Desna ivica

© 2008 Grad Zrenjanin. Sva prava zadržana